Saturday, January 23, 2016

Spirit



If there's divinity that lurks beyond
my senses, dark and scared, that watches all
that passes and that knows the hidden things,
if there's an ear that hears my cries and feels
for human pains,
then teach me how the love of life can run
within my veins!

I fear that it's my choice that's made my world
a nightmare thing, that only by my fault
I've lost the thread of life's design, the trap
I've sprung upon myself to realize, too
late, far too late!
Though yesterday I might have freed myself,
it's now just crushing weight.

How I'd have loved, and done, and been, had I
but known before. How differently it could
have turned, had I then felt my weakness whole!
Oh tell me there's still time for me, that I've
got time to change!
Please tell me there's some service I can give
you in exchange.

If you can hear me, spirit dear, and if
you know my heart, accept please these verses
as payment, or a start. You know I love
beyond all things, all joys, all treasures dear,
to wrap up life in lines,
Oh! let me please you, serve your caprice,
by manipulating signs.

For you and only you I'll work, I'll spin
my daily web, I'll catch a treat so sweet
to sate your senses so. I live and love
to please and preen your so discerning mind,
and if I please
you'll never find a truer friend, attuned
to every ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment