Saturday, February 27, 2016

A Goodbye



I try to remember you smiling.
You were so brave when they told you
that you didn't have long left.
Too brave, really.
I think it was for our sakes.
But you never smiled the same again.
I try to remember you smiling.
Later, you were so cold,
stiff, and calm
by the embalmer's touch.
I wished they'd close the lid.
I didn't want to remember you like that.
I try to remember you smiling.
You would laugh, and the room would light up,
and we would all be so warm and happy,
the way it was supposed to be.
Your smile was life,
and you gave it so fully,
to all of us.
We loved you.
No, we love you.
We miss you,
and I try to remember you smiling.

(Photo credit: "Portugal Beja Sunshine" from Francisco Antunes on Flickr)

Check out The Giggling Stream on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment