Thursday, August 25, 2016

Listen



Listen, listen, just listen.
Listen while I spin my web
like a spider,
stretching strands into a circle.

Listen while I tell you pretty words,
paint castles and forests in your eyes,
and watch it dissolve like so much dust.
Just listen while I tell you about love,
as if I knew about it,
or tell you everything about the world,
as if I knew everything.
Listen while I tell you your secrets.

Listen, sweet listener,
when I tell you it wasn't always like this.
There was magic in the words, then.
There was beauty in the earth,
and a million beautiful lights,
all shining together in perfect peace.
There was something real,
something that held fast
and didn't blow away with the wind.
But now I talk,
and now you listen,
and now we both know we exist.

What are you?
What am I?
Are you an ear?
Am I a mouth?
Just listen, you sweet thing,
just listen and tell me how right I am.
It's all I want.
It's all you want.

Listen, listen, just listen.
Listen while I spin my web
like a spider,
stretching strands into a circle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Would you care to take a look at my Facebook page?

If you enjoyed the poem, it would mean a lot to me if you could share it with your friends. Thanks!

(Photo credit: "Light up" from Shan Sheehan on flickr)

No comments:

Post a Comment