Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Shell Girl



Do you remember how it was,
when we would wander the woods after nightfall,
hand in hand without a worry?
You picked up snails
and watched them slick along your arm.
I called you the shell-girl
and traced a spiral to your heart.
It was a hot summer, that year,
and the nights were oh so long.
You remember that, don't you?

Do you remember when it rained,
and we hid beneath the tallest tree in the forest?
The birds sang in the glade,
and you curled under me to keep dry.
You felt so soft there,
you felt so peaceful.
You fell asleep,
lulled by the sound of my heartbeat,
do you remember?
I never loved you more.

We said we'd never be apart.
We said we'd love forever.
We said it never had to end.
Was it I who let you down?
Was it you who drifted off?
I missed you.,
long before we said goodbye,
and I so hated to lose you.
I hope you won't forget me,
but you I'll always remember.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Would you care to take a look at my Facebook page?

If you enjoyed the poem, it would mean a lot to me if you could share it with your friends. Thanks!

(Photo credit: "Time does it to all of us" from stanze on Flickr)

2 comments:

  1. Sad, yet I feel a touch of hope. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete