Monday, June 8, 2015

A Dialogue



"No, it is a prison without walls.
Have you seen any walls?
Care to show me the tower or gate?"

The echoes and murmurs, the pitiless shout,
there is no way out, there is no way out.

"It took no spring for snapping shut
to bind myself to me;
you never locked me in a hut,
you simply made me free."

The morning breathes sweet daylight on the blades of dewy grass,
the sun's already risen and the time is passing fast.
There's urgency in plenty as the birds tweet all around,
and haunting, flowing speeches to the distant trumpet sound.

"And for that you would destroy me?
You would burn the world to ash!
Why, because you are a slave to what you want?"

The thought of a seed as it bursts from the grain:
all living is pain, all living is pain!

"You make myself to carry me and
so make my burden double;
if there were only I to stand
here, there would be no trouble."

The heaven and the earth embrace in tones of green and blue,
while dampened air enfolds the running speech of one or two.
I cannot say precisely where this heavy talk will tend,
for now it still continues, and it may well never end.

No comments:

Post a Comment