Thursday, June 25, 2015

Sample Tray



You stand there, with your tray and smile
(how could I help but watch a while?).
You stand there, leaning on one leg,
your eyes dark
and lovely as a midnight dream,
your phone outlined
in your back right pocket,
your black hair in a bun.
You greet them all (for one example),
“Would you like to try a sample?”

You could sell me anything, I’m sure,
with those deep eyes,
those full lips parted,
the rounding of those hips
in those tight pants.
Sex sells.
Cynical corporate strategy, you could say.
(Why, yes I would like fries with that.)
You greet them all (for one example),
“Would you like to try a sample?”

But you’re not a tray.
You’re not a sausage biscuit
with a toothpick stuck through it.
You have dreams, you have hopes,
you have fears that keep you up at night.
Would you hold that tray so well
without an echoing deep within?
I wonder who you really are.
I wonder if I’ll ever know.
You greet them all (one last example),
“Would you like to try a sample?”

No comments:

Post a Comment