Saturday, April 23, 2016

The Chameleon



"Oh, yes, I love that movie too!
It's one of my favorites!"
"Really, that's wonderful,
what's your favorite part?"
"Well, you know,
I haven't seen it for a long time..."

Come to me.
Come here, you chameleon.
Sit on my shoulder
and spit all my opinions back at me.
Tell me just how right I am,
as I sit here talking nonsense.
After all, despite all my airs
I really am too fragile a soul
to put up with a woman's opinion.
Tell me just what I want to hear.
You don't have to be subtle.
I'm sure it's what I want.

"... and that's why I think
global warming is a hoax."
"You've got such a clever mind,
I just feel so smart talking to you."
"Would you like to see
my rifle collection?"

Of course I just want a toy,
of course I just want a warm body
and a parrot for my prejudices.
Who likes to be challenged?
Come now, chameleon,
match my shade and I'll give you a smile.
Why pretend you want anything else?
Of course you don't really want a mind of your own.
Doesn't it make you anxious,
all that thinking, having opinions, and choosing for yourself?
You don't have to do it any longer, chameleon.
Come to me.

(Photo credit: "Woman in the mirror" from Ley on Flickr)

Check out The Giggling Stream on Facebook!

2 comments: