Saturday, June 4, 2016

Thing



You've met it before, haven't you?
I've got plenty of it in me,
and I'm sure you've got your share,
same as the rest of us.
It gets so hard to fight it sometimes,
and it's a battle that lasts a lifetime.

It always sounds so good, when it says,
"Just five more minutes," or,
"You can take it easy this morning," or,
"Let's check Facebook before we get to work."
It never seems to shut up,
and it always has the worst ideas.

If only it wasn't so persuasive!
It always tells me what I like to hear.
It whispers, "It wasn't your fault,"
whenever things go wrong.
It tells me I'm amazing
and there's nothing more important than me.

I'd say I hate it,
but that's not quite true, not really.
The problem is I like it too much
and have an awful time saying no to it.
I've got too much work to do
to put up with this sludge in my brain.

It's everywhere these days.
It has so many opportunities
and it's so hard to keep it under control.
I hate it.
I love it.
It's everywhere.

(Photo credit: "Darkness" from Yann Cœuru on Flickr)

Check out The Giggling Stream on Facebook!

2 comments: