Thursday, June 16, 2016

Unrhymed Poetry Seems More Sincere: A Poem



Never worry love, never fear.
I'd promise you everything, and I'd almost mean it,
but it's so hard to lie
when I look you in the eye.
(You can tell it's a real poem
because some of the lines rhyme,
which was totally on purpose)

I'd like to say I'll love you forever,
and that I'd never get tired of you,
and that we'd be happy together,
and I'd be just so thrilled to have kids to raise.
You're supposed to want those things, right?
Or I am?
Or maybe "we" are?

I think that's what growing up is supposed to mean,
or what it does mean.
Suck it up, pretend to be happy,
do your best to propagate the species
and maintain the community.

But how to do that,
when I just want to die,
see the community burn,
and watch the species go extinct?

Fuck it.
Let's just screw
and not tell anybody we met on Tinder.

(Photo credit: "Love" from Alberto Garcia on Flickr)

Check out The Giggling Stream on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment