Saturday, November 14, 2015

Sappy; or, Sticky



Shining in the morning
with a thousand lesser lights,
see Venus glow in warning
among the fading brights.

I want to love you
the way I love the piece of gum
that I can’t get off my shoe.

Catch the dizzy sun that rises
to birth the world anew,
and the flower’s sweet disguises
so the bees know what to do.

I have a runny nose,
and I want to love you
the way I love my box of tissues.

The northern geese go flying
to warm lands far away,
and though new lights are dying,
they’ll last another day.

I want our love to drag on forever,
like the second half of Peter Jackson’s
The Fellowship of the Ring.

A little piece of heaven
comes down into the world,
but by the tick of seven
its banners come unfurled.

Do you think you could be like
that icky corporate pop song
that gets stuck in my head all day?

We could be the maggots
that squirm in the bowl of guacamole
that you left in the fridge too long.

We could be a dirty joke
that only gets worse
every time you tell it.

We could read books on psychology
and analyze each other
in perfect cognitive dissonance.

Doesn’t that sound nice?

No comments:

Post a Comment