Thursday, July 2, 2015

Child's Play



I should have known.
I should have known
from the beginning.

Duck.

“I’ve got a secret I must tell,”
she began with eyes that shone,
“But follow to the little well,
a place where we can be alone.”
Her eyes were blue as heaven’s veil,
the breath she gave not yet grown stale;
not caring if from love or lust,
I simply followed, knew I must.
There grew a question on my lips
as we traced far the fields of green,
brushed wild flowers yet unseen,
and distant viewed the parting ships.
Though to recall what went unasked,
to me, most difficult a task.

Duck.

It sits in coils that reap the sun
as clouds hold back the light,
the serpent with no feet to run
but many teeth to bite.

Duck.

“But why can you not tell me here?”
I asked, “One spot’s much like another.”
“Just wait and soon you’ll see it clear,”
she laughed and cried, “Oh, little brother!”
Her breath was like the winds of fate,
the eyes she gazed through deep and great.
The secret all as yet unheard,
I followed on without a word.
We two we walked so far so fast,
the oceans and the deserts crossed,
I often feared we would be lost,
and rodents gnaw our bones at last.
And how I wondered what she so
desired I should also know!

Duck.

It sits and sheds one scale by scale,
and peels itself away.
The ancient beast that’s never failed
renews itself today.

Duck.

“And here’s the spot, you curious one,
you’ll hear the tale that I must tell,
and though you’ll think I’m making fun,
you’ll better know if listen well.”
I heard her with a furrowed brow,
took in the well, this light, this now.
And far below the waters ran,
returned to where they once began.
My mind all straining best to hear,
I hastened to her swift command,
and with her lips curled by her hand,
she whispered soft into my ear:
“There is no secret, dearest friend,
as you well knew before the end.”

Duck.

I should have known.
I should have known
from the beginning.

Duck.

It wreathes its way among the hills
and settings of the stage,
it hisses in the won’ts and wills
of this new dawning age.

Goose!

No comments:

Post a Comment