Tuesday, July 7, 2015

(Untitled)



What fills the space between us two,
what worlds thrown distant far apart,
that if I would speak straight with you
I need employ a crooked dart?
You hold a glass and speak so soft,
as if a light from far aloft.
The shine I see so oddly mixed,
as if a signal all unfixed.
If you would speak just as you are
and not insist on switching form
(could you be angel, beast, or worm?),
your light could be my guiding star.
What kind of strange conception,
only present in reflection?

Words of words of words of words,
and though we know just what they say,
if we knew how to mean them,
well, would we be here today?
What did you say, what did you mean,
what did you hear, why did you listen?
Did you just dream that flinty words
would set some spark to glisten?

(I must confess the better good
may be to go misunderstood.)

“Do you really mean that?”

I saw I snake gnawing on its tail.
It said, “God, I’m sick to my stomach!”

A lightbulb opens up a world
but dies a martyr in the end.
And how to trace the shining shatter
so close to tell it to a friend?
There is no stern revealer
like the quality of light,
and how to fend off nightmares
without a speaking and a sight?

How slips the space between us two,
how this drawing all together,
and why must we so change our view
with all the switches in the weather?
I walk through each dark valley deep
and marvel at the bleating sheep.
And all they struck me as so lost
until our shepherd paths came crossed.
But would you give me hope enough,
as shining through the weary years
you see me clipping with the shears…
and maybe other shepherd stuff?b
It’s bad luck to break a mirror,
although I do begin to fear her.

No comments:

Post a Comment