Tuesday, March 1, 2016

The Reluctant Patriot



I'm a simple man,
I like flowers and the sunshine,
pretty girls and soothing words.
I've got no head for power politics,
grand causes, or awful struggles.
I wish we could all live in harmony
and never worry what tomorrow might bring.
But I'm afraid for this country.
I'm afraid for America.

I imagine myself in an enormous hall
with two huge camps shouting
insanity on either side.
So many angry voices, so much rage,
fear, resentment, and so much real pain it makes me weep.
So many voices, but none of them speaks for me.
None of them even speaks to me.
Surely I'm not the only one who feels this way.
There must be a way to fix what's gone wrong.
There must be a way to find what's gone wrong.
God help me, I find I really love this country after all!
There must be some sanity left in it.

Help me find it.
If you see what I see, help me find it.
There must be a way to get back to what we should be.
Help me find it,
because I'm afraid.
I'm afraid for America.

(Photo Credit: "Indian Summer in New England" from Werner Kunz on Flickr)

Check out The Giggling Stream on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment