Saturday, July 9, 2016

Then



Let's be friends, like we were then,
the way we could be
when  you were a girl and I was a boy.
We played on the playground,
or swung on the tire swing,
and you were always my best friend.

Why can't we be friends, like we were then?
We played hide and seek,
and it was so fun when you found me.
We could just have fun, then.
We would play pretend, and when we played pretend
it was just for fun.

I wish we could be friends, like we were then.
Things are different now,
and so very complicated.
It's not your fault, it's not mine,
but we'll never be simple again.
We'll never be innocent again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Would you care to take a look at my Facebook page?

If you enjoyed the poem, it would mean a lot to me if you could share it with your friends. Thanks!

(Photo credit: "Tire Swing" from Amy Aletheia Cahill on Flickr)

No comments:

Post a Comment